ARCHIVE

July 28, 2011

FOOD FIGHT: Dominick "The Dominator" Cruz - The Oyster Cruz

First ever and current UFC Bantamweight Champion

Photographer: MLX Photography

The Oyster Cruz (beer-battered spicy oysters with cucumber dill sauce).

The first time I saw Dominick Cruz fight, he was squaring off with Scott Jorgensen on December 16, 2010. Before that, I caught a glimpse of him commenting on a WEC venue. I was giving myself a pedicure when I looked up to see what ruckus my cat was up to. That was when I noticed Cruz on the screen. That boyish look, pleasant demeanor and stoic jaw charmed me. I turned into a wide-eyed, giddy little schoolgirl. Cruz states he's a minimalist and frugal; spending money on mostly things he needs, yet, he comes off as someone enriching both in spirit and personality. 


I chose oysters for Dominick Cruz's dish for the simple reason that at this time and point in his life, maybe the world is his oyster. That was just a musing. Actually, in a sense, Cruz reminds me of an oyster. How? Well, an oyster's mature shape often depends on the type of environment to which it is originally attached. Cruz has evolved into an elusive fighter with quick footwork (making it difficult for his opponents to hit him) and a technique no one has figured out. All similar to an oyster: elusive because of the sanctioned agriculture laws, slimy and hard to handle, and when it comes to shucking oysters you better have good technique. So remember, as Cruz said: fight the fighter, not the myth. I say to you... eat the oyster, not the myth. They're divine.


Batter:

3/4 cup flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup beer
4-5 Thai chili peppers (or less if you don’t want too much heat)

Making the batter:

1. Place flour, egg, salt, paprika, garlic powder and olive oil in a bowl.
2. Lightly mix together while adding the beer.
3. Mix only until incorporated. If batter is lumpy, it's fine.
* This batter amount can coat a dozen oysters.

Heat oil to 350 degrees. Pat the oysters dry with paper towel before putting them into the batter. Deep-fry until golden brown. Remove and salt immediately.


Cucumber Dill Sauce:

2 c. sour cream
2 med. size cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and chopped fine
1/3 c. finely chopped fresh dill OR 2 tbsp. dried dill weed
1/3 c. finely chopped green onions (optional)
2 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. salt


Photographer: MLX Photography

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 28, 2011

    OMG! This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oysters or Dominick Cruz? haha I know... the oysters. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 30, 2011

    I am not an oyster fan, by all means, but damn, i think i could be converted.... Love the new blog, RIGHT ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kim. Personally, I believe the only good conversion involves food. Get converted!

    ReplyDelete