ARCHIVE

July 28, 2011

FOOD FIGHT: Jose "Scarface" Aldo - Chicken Curry Comfort

Current UFC Featherweight Champion

Photographer: MLX Photography

When I started reading about Brazilian MMA fighter and UFC Featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, the first thing I read was how poor he was growing up and before his professional career as an MMA fighter. Aldo didn’t even have food to eat, but there were good people who helped. His father was an alcoholic and a viloent drunk. When he became a teenager, his mother left because she couldn’t deal anymore. Since, Aldo vowed to be a good person; to never drink, to never hit his wife and to never lead a life filled with dispair and insolence. When asked about what motivates Aldo, he mentioned his dreams and the goal of owning a home. Home is sacred (something my fiance, Thurst, always say to me). I was moved by those simple words; yet, those words are so difficult to achieve without dedication, sacrifice and perseverance. In a sense, I didn’t just see a phenomenal fighter in this man, but a human being who merely wants the quaint comforts in life.

Aldo strikes me as a good natured, comforting human being, so I chose a Brazilian chicken stew with a touch of Thai flavors (in respect to his Muay Thai skills). As it’s been said, fighting is the most primitive form of survival and food is the most primitive form of comfort.


INGREDIENTS:

2lbs. chicken boneless skinless breasts
2 tbs of oil
1 lemongrass stalk
3 lime leaves
1 can of red curry paste
1 small can of tomato paste
1 small can of coconut milk
1 cup cherry tomatoes
2-4 jalapenos peppers (sliced lengthwise)
2-4 banana peppers (sliced)
2 medium sweet potatoes (cubed)
1 Spanish onion (coarsely chopped)
3 minced cloves of garlic
An inch of ginger (coarsely chopped)
3 stalks of green onions
Salt to taste
*serves 2-3 people

1. Cut the chicken into half-inch pieces. Boil chicken in 4 cups water with lemongrass stalk and lime leaves. When chicken is cook, remove from broth and set aside. Strain broth and set aside.

2. Over medium heat, in a large pot with oil, add garlic, red curry paste, tomato paste and sweet potatoes. Cook for 7 minutes; then add the peppers, onion and chicken. Combined all the ingredients well. Lower heat, add the coconut milk and chicken broth, salt, cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Then add cherry tomatoes, cover and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
3. Serve over warm, fluffy rice. Garnish with green onions.

Photographer: MLX Photography

6 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 28, 2011

    Yummy! Your chicken curry looks amazing! I know this dish has some yummy flavors flowing through it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't met a curry I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you're blogging now! All that bullying paid off. ;) I love curries, and this sounds delicious--a perfect recipe for the fighter! Hey, do you have a way to sign me up to get email notifications when you post? That's how I subscribe to blogs b/c I don't use a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Thanks. And yes all that bullying paid off indeed. Well, I thought it was selfish of me not to share recipes. Truth is, I was never good at putting them down on paper (or on screen).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura has a problem with it as well. She usually yells out ingredients and measurements to her husband while she's throwing things together and he types up the recipe while she works. Think Thurst would go for that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Teamwork, yes! He loves to help come up with ideas for recipes, but he hates to type. I had suggested he blogged about his adventures with Kalimah since they're home together everyday; a man and his cat... and the world of RPG computer gaming. haha

    ReplyDelete